How to reach
From Highway A1, exit Florence and then towards the center.
Distance from the International Airport Amerigo Vespucci: 9km
On the train
From the S. Maria Novella Railway Station the Garden is reached by an connection cured by Ataf metropolitan transport, Pitti stop.
Boboli Garden is the result of the union between the old garden known as the “Orto dei Pitti” with the agricultural area behind the palace which Eleonora of Toledo, wife of Duke Cosimo I de' Medici, bought in 1549 from the Pitti family.
The project was by Raffaello Niccolò, called il Tribolo, who had designed the Medici garden at Villa di Castello. After the death of Tribolo in 1550 work was directed by Davide Fortini, then by Giorgio Vasari, Bartolomeo Ammannati and Bernardo Buontalenti. In 1567 the Ocean fountain was recorded for the first time, carved by Giambologna and brought to the centre of the Bacino dell'Isola in 1637. Under Cosimo II, Grand Duke from 1609 to 1621, Boboli was extended with an avenue of cypresses leading to the Bacino dell'Isola. Groups of citrus trees and flowers were planted on the island around the Ocean fountain. Three mazes were created (demolished in 1833) and an avenue covered with intertwined holm oak branches.
The Medici dynasty became extinct in 1737, and the new Grand Dukes came from the Habsburg-Lorraine family. Pietro Leopoldo, Grand Duke from 1765 to 1790, ordered substantial restoration works and new buildings, including the Kaffeehaus, the Lemon House and the Sundial Palace. Other projects comprised the reorganisation of the Prato delle Colonne, the creation of a botanical garden and a jardin potager for vegetables, fruit and exotic flowers. Abandoned during Napoleonic rule (1799-1814), the garden was restored to its formal layout with the Lorraine restoration. The building of the great Tepidarium in 1816 was one of the most important interventions.
The entrance to the garden more suitable for people with different abilities is from the Concierge of Bacchus. It is available a wheelchair at the wardrobe of the central concierge. One of the toilets (Near Amphitheatre) has an electric montascala operated by staff.
The centralized services are placed in the ground floor at the entrance of the main courtyard of the Palace. In the toilet, both for women and men, there are changing table. In a room, always placed in the ground floor, it's possible to breastfeed, being secluded and quiet.