This relatively small property (about a hectare) combines the architectural and landscaping wisdom and know-how of three centuries, from the seventeenth to the twentieth, and offers a truly wonderful view, the gaze spreading out from the hill over the built-up area of Settignano "of which it exploits the ancient terracing" spacing onto the city of Florence and onto the valley of the river Arno.

The villa, built on sculptor Rossellino's modest native house, was finished in 1610 and actually lived in by the Lapi family until they sold it to the Capponi marquises, who enlarged the garden and added statues and fountains.
Early last century it was purchased by a very beautiful and eccentric Russian lady, Giovanna Ghyka who devoted part of her own life to the transformation of the already famous gardens, combining the existing austere evergreens with colored roses and flowers and turning the eighteenth-century garden into the Italian-style garden in front of the villa, carefully playing with heights and voids, in which water expanses skilfully delimited by trimmed boxwood replace the parterres.

The harmony of the finished layout, obtained thanks to a knowledgeable use of the spaces, is a veritable masterpiece.

Along its transversal axis, which is 105 meters long, there where it intersects with the main one, we find a cabinet embellished with statues, of water and four valuable symmetrical stairways that give access to two woods of secular holm-oaks and to the lemon garden with arboreal peonies and trellises covered in "Albértine" roses.




Address
Via del Rossellino 72
50135 Settignano (FI)

Tel. +39 055 697205
fax. +39 055 697207

Sito Web
E-mail
Informations
Every day from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
Sunday and holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

Tickets
Ordinary € 15,00
Students € 10,00
Groups (12 people minumun) € 12,00 per person
Facilities